Now that we are in the midst of the holiday season it is time to start bringing out all those decorations collecting dust in their boxes in an effort to look festive. The exterior of your home tends to get a little extra attention as that is what people see first whether just passing by or coming in for a visit.
One of the most sadly neglected areas of the exterior of your house is the garage door. Imagine strangers driving around looking at holiday decorations and checking out all the bare garage doors and suddenly they come across the stunning festive display covering your garage doors!
You don’t have to go over the top in decorating, just a few simple touches can be enough to make your house really stand apart in a wonderful way!
Here are some ideas as to how you can “Wow” your neighbours by decorating your garage doors and improving your curb appeal over the holiday season!
1) The easiest trick is to simply place a wreath in the middle of the garage door just as you would your front door. You may want to find or make a much larger one for this purpose though.
2) A large bow ribbon taped to the centre of the garage door with the ends radiating out towards the side of the door is also a nice look.
3) If you have the ability to string lights and garland around your garage you can really make it stand out in a tasteful way! Just frame the outside of the garage door with white or coloured lights, garland, or better yet a combination of the two
4) Garage Door Magnets in Holiday Styles can be purchased at many retailers as well as online through Amazon. There are many holiday-themed murals out there that come on a giant magnet that can be applied to your garage door
5) Holiday themed Garage Door Murals are made ready to hang and are easy to simply take down and roll up for use year after year.
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!
Tuesday 27th of November 2018
Could you please tell me where I could purchase a big ribbon to attach to my garage? I cannot find any in my area. I usually hang a huge reef but this year I wanted to do something different. Thank you!
Saturday 5th of January 2013
Thank you for the ideas for outside decorating.
Thursday 6th of December 2012
The idea in that picture is so neat! That's somebody who knows how to have fun. Other than maybe lights along the roofline, I don't see too many decorated garages in my neighborhood. Pity since they take up so much of the front of the house.