Have I mentioned lately that I love being part of the Kellogger’s Network? I received a “gift” from Kellogg’s this week in a bright red box full of awesome goodies. I couldn’t wait to get started making Rice Krispies with this awesome kit. I used my kit to make Holiday “ornaments” thanks to the inspiration of Lisa Sanguedolce, a top Canadian cake decorator who teamed up with Kellogg’s Rice Krispies.
Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Holiday Ornament
What You’ll Need
- 6 cups (1.5 litre) Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
- 250g (1 pkg) Marshmallows
- 1/4cup (50ml) Butter or Margarine
- 2ml (1/2 tsp) Vanilla extract
- Red licorice string
- Red and white fondant and edible silver balls (available at cake decorating supply shops, crafting or grocery stores)
- Ruler, bamboo skewer, pizza cutter, rolling pin and paint brush
- Wrapping: cello bags, ribbon, and mini decorative bulbs (available at local crafting stores)
Make the Rice Krispies Base
1. In a large microwave safe bowl, heat margarine and marshmallows at HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes
2. Stir in vanilla. Stir in Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal until well coated. Allow mixture to cool slightly; form into shape.
Shape the Ornament
1. Form Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal mixture into half balls, leaving space in the centre
2. Poke a small hole in a piece of fondant with bamboo skewer and thread with your red licorice to make the loop for hanging
3. Place the loop inside the ball and add more Kellogg’s Rice Krispies mixture to close the ball around the licorice so the loop sticks out; add more mixture as needed and mold with hands into ball shape
1. Roll fondant into a sheet using a rolling pin
2. With a ruler and pizza cutter, cut fondant into long strips; place onto ornament working your way around, cutting any excess
3. Use a very small cookie cutter decorating tool to cut out fun shapes from the fondant
4. Dip the paint brush in some water and brush onto the fondant; sprinkle on edible silver balls
5. Once complete, package the Kellogg’s Rice Krispies ornament in a cellophane bag, adding ribbon and mini decorative bulbs for the perfect holiday gift!
You can also watch a step-by-step video by visiting http://www.youtube.com/RiceKrispiesCanada
Disclosure: I received a sample of the product in order to facilitate my review. All opinions are my own.
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!