From Walt Disney Animation Studios (“Frozen,” “Wreck-It Ralph”), Disney’s “Big Hero 6” introduces you to a lovable robot who will change your world. Join Baymax (voice of Scott Adsit) and Hiro Hamada (voice of Ryan Potter) in a comic adventure that will make your heart soar as they learn about teamwork and becoming more than you thought you could be.
With all the heart and humor audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, “Big Hero 6” is an action-packed comedy adventure that introduces Baymax, a lovable, personal companion robot, who forms a special bond with robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada. When a devastating turn of events catapults them into the midst of a dangerous plot unfolding in the streets of San Fransokyo, Hiro turns to Baymax and his diverse group of friends — adrenaline junkie Go Go Tomago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred — who transform into a band of unlikely heroes. Bring home Disney’s “Big Hero 6,” featuring comic-book-style action and hilarious, unforgettable characters — it’s fun for the whole family!
I have to admit that I’ve seen a lot of hype about this release pretty much all over and I’m not really one to buy into hype. When I was asked to review the blu-ray release though I decided to give it a chance because pretty much it’s Disney and I love Disney. I still didn’t immediately pop it in to watch when it arrived because frankly it just didn’t seem like my kind of movie. I mean robots and super-heroes? Come on!
What happened when I put it in while my husband was folding his laundry and about to head off to bed for the night was pretty telling. What ended up happening is that he sat through the full 102 minutes because he was just enjoying it so much he couldn’t help but stay. Even more telling though is that I also sat through the full movie without once checking in on my e-mail or tweeting or the usual stuff that happens when I attempt to watch movies.
This is seriously a must-see movie. Even if you think it isn’t your thing, because honestly it’s almost certainly going to be your thing. It is funny and sad, full of action and adventure and there is even a few unexpected twists along the way. It deals with grief and the many ways different people deal with it in a subtle and moving way.
The animation is spot on and the characters endearing, especially the super huggable Baymax. I feel that this title will really appeal to children, teenagers and parents alike. Well done Disney, well done! Now I understand the hype.
Disney Frozen fans will love this clip showing a few nods to the popular movie.
The Blu-Ray Combo pack is available to purchase Feburary 24th, 2015.
Digital HD/3D/SD*, Blu-ray Combo Pack & Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) Bonus Features:
- FEAST Theatrical Short
- The Origin Story of “Big Hero 6”: Hiro’s Journey (hosted by Jamie Chung, voice of Go Go Tomago) – Join the team behind the team that brought Big Hero 6 to the big screen as they travel on research trips to Tokyo and San Francisco and go behind the scenes of this epic film. Explore everything comic-book about Big Hero 6, from director Don Hall’s passion for comics to the story’s roots in a lesser known Marvel property. We’ll talk to Marvel’s Joe Quesada and Jeph Loeb, who were consultants on the film, to learn what makes a good comic-book story, and how these devices were used to help create Disney’s “Big Hero 6.”
- Big Animator 6: The Characters Behind the Characters – Join the six lead animators of Big Hero 6 as they talk about each of the characters and how they came to be the heroes they are now.
- Deleted Scenes (intro by Directors Don Hall & Chris Williams) – Includes two alternate openings and more.
- Big Hero Secrets (Easter Egg) – The movie is filled with Easter Eggs, and this Buzzfeed-type list piece will give you a sampling of some of the hidden treasures in the film. See if you can find this Easter Egg about Easter Eggs! (BLU-RAY ONLY)
- Gag Animations (intro by Directors Don Hall & Chris Williams) – For fun, animators made alternate versions of scenes they were working on and threw them into the mix at review sessions. The directors will present some of these gags for the first time to the public in this piece. (DMA ONLY)
- Beatmax – Check out some of Baymax’s greatest lines auto-tuned like you’ve never heard before. (DMA ONLY)
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!
Thursday 6th of August 2015
This looks like a very good movie!
Friday 27th of February 2015
I have never heard of this movie until recently. Looks adorable!
Sunday 22nd of February 2015
my daughter loved this movie!
Saturday 21st of February 2015
This movie about Baymax and his friends sounds like a winner. I find that Disney movies, supposedly for children, appeal to all ages. There is an innocence to them that wins you over. I know that when I watched 'Twisted' (I think that is the name) about Rapunzel , I laughed and enjoyed it so much, I watched it many times with my ggson. I think the Movie studios should wake up and realize what really appeals to most people.
Friday 20th of February 2015
I am very much looking forward to this movie as well!! It looks so good and I"m sad I missed it in the theatres!