In my family there is nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of homemade spicy barley and vegetable soup on a blustery and cold winter day. This soup is often requested by my family and despite being vegetarian and I guess vegan even, it is filling and hearty thanks to the pearl barley and all the veggies. The secret to this soup is the combination of the slight spicy heat from the Scotch Bonnet Pepper and the acidic hit from the lime. Don’t worry though, the spice level is low as long as you throw the scotch bonnet in whole and don’t try to cut it up like you are making Jerk Chicken. Still don’t believe me? My two year old, Keira, loves this soup, and practically demands to drink the broth! If she can handle it, so can you!
Trust me when I say this is not your everyday boring vegetable soup, it will have everyone asking for more!
Spicy Barley and Vegetable Soup Recipe
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2-3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 Medium Carrots, Chopped
2 Celery Stalks, Chopped
3 Leeks, Chopped
8 Cups (2 L) Vegetable Broth
8oz Cremini Mushrooms, Sliced
1 Can Diced Plum Tomatoes
1 Cup Pearl Barley
1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper, Whole
2 tsp Dried Thyme
2 Tbsp Lime Juice
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat then add the garlic and onion and saute until the onion is soft, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the Carrots, Celery and Leeks and saute for another 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the vegetable broth, mushrooms, tomatoes, barley and scotch bonnet pepper.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring the soup occasionally.
Remove the Scotch Bonnet Pepper. Add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 2 Medium Carrots Chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks Chopped
- 3 Leeks Chopped
- 8 Cups Vegetable Broth 2 L
- 8 oz Cremini Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 Can Diced Plum Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Pearl Barley
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper Whole
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat then add garlic and onion and saute until onion is soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add Carrots, Celery and Leeks and saute for another 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, mushrooms, tomatoes, barley and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the Scotch Bonnet Pepper. Add lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
What is your family favourite when it comes to soup?