Fish Cakes are a really great food for kids. They are full of great stuff and make it easy to hide the stuff they may not like so much. I love this recipe because the cakes are baked rather than fried.
Since this recipe does involve eggs, please use your own discretion before giving to a baby under 12 mos.
My daughter loves the crispy outside with the soft, moist interior. After I make up some for her I usually add 1/2 tsp of salt and make up some cakes for her Daddy and I.
4 Sole Fillets (or other white fish)
1/2 cup Sweet Peas (or other veg)
2 Large Potatoes, Peeled & Chopped
3/4 Cup Flour
3/4 Cup Breadcrumbs (Italian or Panko work best)
Roughly 2-3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Boil fillets, peas, and potatoes together in a large pot for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. I have found it works best if you put the potatoes on the bottom and then the peas and fillets on top of them.
3) Put cooked ingredients into a food processor along with 1 tbsp of breadcrumbs and 2 eggs then process until smooth.
4) Cool mixture, covered, in refrigerator – its easier to form into cakes when the mixture is more stiff and cool.
5) Create an assembly line to make the cakes by filling a bowl with flour, another with a beaten egg and the last bowl with breadcrumbs.
6) Use a spoon to spoon out a small amount of the mixture and form into a ball.
7) Roll ball of mixture in flour, then in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs.
8) Place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper or lightly greased and pat down into a cake shape. Repeat steps 6-8 until mixture is done.
9) Drop a small amount of oil on each cake then place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
You Might Like...
Latest posts by Elizabeth (see all)
- Halloween Terrarium - September 28, 2016
- Introducing Disney’s Newest Princess – Elena of Avalor #DreamBigPrincess - September 28, 2016
- I am So Bored by Henrike Wilson - September 28, 2016