This is a classic easy Royal Icing for Decorating Cookies recipe made with egg whites. It results in a stiff icing that holds its shape well.
This royal icing for decorating cookies is thick and stiff. It pipes well and easily but is not meant for flooding cookies.
It is best for decorating gingerbread cookies and outlining sugar cookies.
For use in flooding cookies you can thin the icing with a tablespoon at a time of room temperature water, stirring constantly until you achieve your desired consistency.
Can you Freeze Royal Icing?
Any leftover royal icing can be frozen for up to 2 months. Place leftover royal icing into seal-able freezer bags and squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible. Seal and freeze flat on a in your freezer. When needed you can thaw the icing overnight in the refrigerator. Be sure to bring it to room temperature before use.
Prep Time: 5 mins
2 large egg whites, room temperature
2 tsp lemon juice
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Food colouring, if desired
In a mixer beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until frothy.
Slowly add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until well combined.
Beat on high speed for 5 minutes, it is ready when the icing is stiff and glossy.
If using, add food colouring and beat until evenly distributed.
Transfer to a pastry bag to pipe onto cooled cookies.
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Food colouring, if desired
- In a mixer beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until frothy.
- Slowly add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until well combined.
- Beat on high speed for 5 minutes, it is ready when the icing is stiff and glossy.
- If using, add food colouring and beat until evenly distributed.
- Transfer to a pastry bag to pipe onto cooled cookies.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!