A delicious homemade low carb chicken soup recipe from scratch. This homemade chicken soup is loaded with fresh vegetables and chicken, it’s a keto chicken soup the whole family can enjoy.
Chicken soup is a warming bowl of comfort on cold days, and something we all reach for when we aren’t feeling our best.
Since this is a low carb chicken soup recipe, changing the classic French ratio for the mirapoix really helps to reduce the carbs.
Carrots in particular are pretty high in sugar and not normally part of a Keto diet.
However, they are full of vitamins, minerals and other great stuff not including the fabulous flavour they lend soups.
Rather than omitting completely, I prefer to reduce the carrot used to an amount that isn’t likely to kick me out of ketosis or have an adverse affect on my daily macros.
How to Make Chicken Soup Low Carb
The classic ratio for mirapoix is 2 parts onion to 1 part each of celery and carrot. To make this soup low carb and keto friendly I instead use 2 parts celery to 1 part each carrot and onion.
To maximize on the carrot you can roll cut them to create the illusion of more carrot. To roll cut a carrot, hold the knife at an angle and cut a small piece off of the carrot then give the carrot a quarter turn and cut another piece from one end to the other. If you need a visual, here is a demonstration on how to roll cut a carrot.
About the Chicken Soup Recipe Ingredients:
The batter for these pumpkin donuts comes together much like a cake batter does. Here’s what you’ll need to make the donuts and the vanilla glaze:
- Chicken: You can cut down on cook time if you are using a pre-cooked or leftover chicken, add two to three cups of shredded or diced cooked chicken to the soup at the end.
- Chicken broth: You can use any chicken broth, higher quality broth will give you a more flavourful soup. I love to make my own homemade bone broth but boxed store bought broth works just fine.
- Oil: I prefer butter, especially when cooking the mirepoix as it adds more depth of flavour but any oil will work. If you have homemade bone broth, using the fat skimmed and rendered from the process is maybe the best option here.
- Mirepoix: Adds umami, sweetness and a depth of flavour to soups and stews. See notes above about the mirepoix used in this soup.
- Zucchini: Add Zucchini in place of noodles to add more body to the soup.
- Tomato: I like to use canned diced tomato because its easy and has consistent flavour compared to fresh tomatoes.
- Lemon: A touch of lemon adds a brightness that soup needs, its especially good with bone broth.
- Bay Leaf: Bay leaves add another layer of flavour to soups.
- Oregano: Use fresh or dried oregano to add an herby flavour to the soup.
- Salt: Add just enough to bring out the flavours of the soup.
- Pepper: Add to taste but be as generous as possible. Pepper really adds a nice savoury punch to soup.
Alternate Low Carb Soup Ingredients
The ingredients I included are a really good base to start with but feel free to explore other options. Try including other low carb vegetables like celery root, squash, leeks, kale, green beans or cauliflower to make a really hearty soup.
If you aren’t a vegetable person you can really bulk out the soup by simply adding more chicken.
Looking for more delicious homemade soup recipes?
Check out some of my favourites:
How to Make Low Carb Chicken Soup (Keto Friendly)
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
8 cups chicken broth
4 tbsp butter or Olive Oil, divided
2-3 stalks celery, sliced
1 small onion, diced
2 medium carrot, roll cut
1 large Zucchini, diced
1 can, diced tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, minced
zest & juice of 1 lemon
2 Bay leaf
1 tbsp oregano
salt & Pepper to taste
In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp butter (or oil) and cook the chicken. Do not let it brown. Set aside.
Add the remaining butter (or oil) and add all the vegetables, garlic, lemon zest and bay leaf. Stir and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the oregano and lemon juice.
Stir and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and bring it just short of a boil.
Reduce to a simmer then add chicken, salt and pepper to taste, allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes to heat chicken.
Serve & enjoy!
Low Carb Chicken Soup (Keto Friendly)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 tbsp butter or Olive Oil, divided
- 2-3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrot, roll cut
- 1 large Zucchini, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp oregano
- salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp butter (or oil) and cook the chicken. Do not let it brown. Set aside.
- Add the remaining butter (or oil) and add all the vegetables, garlic, lemon zest and bay leaf. Stir and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the oregano and lemon juice.
- Stir and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring it just short of a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer then add chicken, salt and pepper to taste, allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes to heat chicken.
- Serve & enjoy!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!
Saturday 7th of November 2020
I love my homemade soups, as soon as the weather turns cooler I start making sups and stews!
Monday 2nd of November 2020
Looks to good, I trying to eat plant based so I would swap the chicken for potatoes.
Monday 2nd of November 2020
I just love healthy soups, and this one looks so yummy!
Monday 2nd of November 2020
Looks delicious! Chicken soup is my favorite comfort food this time of the year. Thank you for sharing your recipe.