This is a really wonderful spicy and flavourful stew. It is my take on traditional Guyanese Fry Okra and Shrimp with a Jamaican twist to it. It gets raves from my husband whenever I make it and was more recently told I had to make it more often. For all of its flavour it is actually really quick and simple to make and it will not result in slimy Okra as long as you follow the instructions! Instead you will have Okra right at the perfect point of crisp and soft – trust me even those who don’t normally like Okra will love this dish!
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 scallions White and Greens, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 Scotch Bonnet or hot chili pepper chopped or minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 Sprigs Fresh thyme or 1 tsp dry
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 lb okra trimmed, cut in 1 inch rings
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled, deveined
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp or more sea salt
Marinade shrimp in vinegar and soy sauce for 20 minutes.
Heat oil in large pot on medium-high heat. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
Add onion, green onion, garlic, red pepper, hot pepper, and black pepper. Cook until onions turn transluscent.
Stir in tomatos, thyme, water and okra. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Avoid stirring too much since this will break up the okra.
Stir in the shrimp, lime juice and salt. Cover the pot , reduce to a simmer, and let cook until shrimp is cooked through & has turned pink - about 3 minutes.
Serve with Rice, Festival or Boiled Green Bananas.
Note: The salt is added at the end to prevent the okra from getting slimy.
Great Tip: If you find the heat too strong, add more lime juice to cut it.
You Might Like...
Latest posts by Elizabeth (see all)
- New Year’s Eve Time Capsule Ideas - December 12, 2019
- furReal Cubby, the Curious Bear, Interactive Plush Toy - December 9, 2019
- Suitables Costumes - December 5, 2019