Visiting a pick your own farm is a fantastic way to spend a beautiful day. Not only will you leave with some delicious fruits and vegetables, but you will get some exercise and it is also a fantastic way to spend some time together as a family.
Top Tips for a Successful Trip to a Pick Your Own Farm
What is a Pick Your Own Farm?
A Pick Your Own Farm or U-Pick is a farm that gives their customers the opportunity to harvest their own produce. These kinds of farms are perfect for those who want to choose their own high quality, fresh produce for themselves while paying lower prices at the same time.
Tips to Make Your Visit Successful
As with any day trip you wish to take, some simple planning can make the difference between a fantastic day out or a negative experience. Make sure you prepare properly for your next visit to a pick your own farm.
- Call Ahead – Prior to setting off on your trip to a pick your own farm you will want to confirm with the farm that they will be open and have what you are looking for available to pick. Always make sure to call ahead to check the farm’s hours of operation and to confirm they have what you are looking for.
- Go Early – Crops like blueberries and strawberries become ripe and ready to pick, daily. This means that you will want to get a head start on the others coming to pick their produce. You will get the best selection by going early, but you will also avoid the heat and hot sun.
- Brings Snacks – Many farms will have picnic tables available for you to take a break at. Bring snacks and water to enjoy when you need a break from picking.
- Dress Properly – Remember, you are visiting a farm so you will want to ensure you are appropriately dressed. Plan for mud, dust and the sun. Always bring sunscreen, a hat and rubber boots.
- Be Prepared to Pay – When calling ahead it is a good idea to understand the farm’s payment structure. It is usually best to have cash on hand but some farms will accept debit and credit, just make sure you know before you get there.
- Do Your Research – Make sure you are aware of how to tell if the fruit or vegetables you’re harvesting are ripe and ready to go. It is also a good idea to research how to store them once you have bought them.
- Have Fun! – Many pick your own farms have farm animals, hayrides, playgrounds, corn mazes and more. If you are going with your family, make sure to allow time for your children to explore.
Visiting a pick your own farm can be an amazing experience. Just make sure that you are prepared and your trip will be a success.
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!