The BEST Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe ever! Super moist, soft, and loaded with chocolate chips; it’s a tasty way to use up zucchini.
Homemade zucchini bread with lots of chocolate chips is definitely a family favourite in this household.
Moist, fluffy bread dotted with chocolate chips and a hint of spice is what summer dreams are made of.
This quick bread recipe is the perfect way to use up all the fruit of your zucchini plants. Much tastier than zucchini noodles too!
We enjoy this chocolate zucchini bread in the morning for breakfast, or after dinner with a mug of hot coffee.
Zucchini bread tastes like whatever you mix in it, the zucchini itself tends cook away into the bread, leaving it very moist.
Since we use chocolate chips and warming spices, that is what this bread tastes like. It’s great for picky eaters!
Why you will LOVE this Zucchini Bread Recipe
There’s just nothing better than zucchini bread, especially when it’s loaded with chocolate chips. When your garden gives you loads of zucchini, it’s time to make bread! Here is why you will LOVE this chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe:
- Moist and super flavourful!
- Hidden veggies for picky eaters
- Easy to double or triple
- Freezes well
- Great way to use up all those zucchinis from your garden!
Tips for Making the BEST Zucchini Bread
- Don’t squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini as it gives the bread extra moisture.
- Don’t peel the zucchini. It adds nutrients and the pretty green specks you find throughout the bread.
- Don’t overmix the batter! Over mixing will lead to dense bread. Mix until just well combined and no further.
- If the top starts to darken before the loaf is done, tent a piece of foil on top.
- Keep the oven door shut while baking, opening the oven door can drop the temperature quickly, and cause the bread to sink.
- Test the bread with a toothpick before taking it out of the oven. If the bread is undercooked it will sink.
How to Store Zucchini Bread
You can store Zucchini Bread in an airtight container or plastic wrap right out on the counter for up to four days. Avoid storing int he refrigerator as that can dry the bread out.
If you need to store it for longer, this zucchini bread freezes well. Freeze the cooled bread in a freezer bag with the air removed, or in an airtight container for 2-3 months.
To freeze individual slices, slice the bread and freeze the slices in a freezer bag with parchment or wax paper in between.
Reheat it by the slice or as a whole loaf in the microwave for 30-second intervals until warmed through.
About the Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Flour – Spoon and level the flour when measuring it, otherwise you’ll wind up with dense bread.
Eggs – Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before starting.
Zucchini – 1 cup shredded zucchini, packed should be about one medium zucchini. You can use a box grater or food processor to get this job done.
Oil – You can also use melted butter here for added flavour, just make sure its cooled before mixing in.
Sugar – Just use plain old granulated sugar. (Can also substitute with your favourite granulated sugar substitute or or brown sugar.)
Spices – Cinnamon and nutmeg add a lot of flavour and warmth to the bread.
Baking Soda & Baking Powder – Leavens the bread, make sure they are still active so your quick bread rises.
Salt – Helps to balance all the flavours and make em shine.
Vanilla Extract – Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavour, but artificial is just fine too.
Chocolate Chips – I used semi sweet chocolate chips, but you could use dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips instead. If you don’t like chocolate, try swapping with walnuts, peanuts, dried cranberries or raisins.
Looking to use up Zucchini? More Tasty Zucchini Recipes!
Check out some more of my favourite ways to use up garden fresh zucchini!
This clean eating recipe for Dark Chocolate Zucchini Brownies is an easy way to enjoy a special chocolate treat without having to feel any guilt.
These homemade chocolate zucchini muffins are as delicious as they are healthy and oh, so easy to make.
These vegan baked zucchini crisps are perfect hot from the oven; crisp on the outside and juicy in the middle.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Yields: 1 loaf, 10 servings | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 65 mins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper with cooking spray.
2. Grate zucchini on the large holes of your box grater. Drain the grated zucchini through a fine-mesh sieve.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
5. Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. You can sprinkle over the top of the bread with more chocolate chips if desired. Bake for 50 to 65 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
8. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper with cooking spray.
Grate zucchini on the large holes of your box grater. Drain the grated zucchini through a fine-mesh sieve.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 65 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!