I was really excited to be asked to be one of the first Canadians to try a brand new Keurig 2.0 Brewing System. Specifically, I was sent a Keurig 2.0 K500 Brewer to review, although there is also a K400 and a K300 brewer available with slightly different features and price points. I was so excited when it finally arrived after much anticipation, I had it out of the box and setup in less than 5 minutes after answering my door. I’m serious about coffee.
Keurig Canada had been sending me teasers throughout August including a really exciting Keurig Carafe with K-Carafe Cup. I’ve had a Keurig mini for awhile which I love except I could never get rid of my coffee maker as brewing single cups at a time is not really the best way to serve guests. How convenient is it to be able to brew a whole carafe of coffee?
My Keurig 2.0 brewer arrived with a Brewer Accent already installed. What a fun way to personalize your brewer! I had no idea accents were available for brewers and love the idea. The 2.0 has so many great new features I can’t see myself going back to the Keurig Mini unless I have Keurig compatible Cups to use. (More on that later…)
As I mentioned there are three different Keurig 2.0 brewing systems to choose from..
The Keurig® 2.0 K500 Series ($189.99 – $199.99 SRP)
- Ten brew sizes ranging from four to 30 ounces.
- 80-ounce illuminated water reservoir
- Extra-large colour touchscreen display with customizable wallpaper and a variety of programmable controls, including strength control, auto on/off, auto brew K-Carafe™ pack, programmable clock, a favourites settings option and a customizable night light.
- Hot water on demand feature.
The Keurig® 2.0 K400 Series ($159.99 – $169.99 SRP)
- Nine brew sizes ranging from 4 oz to 30 z
- 70 oz illuminated water reservoir
- Colour touch display with customizable wall paper and programmable controls including auto on/off, auto brew K-Carafe pack, strength control, customizable clock and favourites setting)
The Keurig® 2.0 K300 Series ($139.99 – $149.99 SRP)
- Nine brew sizes ranging from 4 oz to 30 oz
- 60 oz illuminated water reservoir
- Grayscale touchscreen with strength control
Keurig offers a large variety of K-Cups from different brands that will all work in the new Keurig 2.0 Brewing System – 125 varieties from 25 brands to be exact. It’s nice that unlike with the Keurig Vue, the 2.0 is somewhat backwards compatible. I say somewhat because the 2.0 uses new technology that reads each lid
What does this mean? Well basically you will be unable to use non-Keurig Cups so those “Keurig Compatible” Cups you use? Those won’t work in the new Keurig 2.0 system. This is actually a good thing because the new brewing technology enables the brewer to recognize the inserted K-Cup and optimize to the customized setting for that particular beverage, guaranteeing a perfect cup every time. This way Keurig is able to guarantee excellent quality beverages produced consistently every single time.
I actually prefer to buy my coffee from Keurig.ca as there are always great deals going plus free shipping on so I can stock up on my favourite flavours for much less than picking up even the store brand Keurig Compatible Cups at times. When you register your brewer on Keurig.ca you also get an exclusive coupon code.
There are so many awesome features I want to share with you. I love the touchscreen, it’s so easy to use and there are time-saving features like the favourites settings feature. There is also a new strength control setting offered with the Keurig 2.0 which allows you to brew bolder coffee. Guess what setting I use every single time? It does have a hot-water on demand function which I thought all Keurigs had as I’ve done it on a few different models but maybe that’s just me.
Going from the mini to the Keurig 2.0 500 series, I really appreciate the size of the water reservoir. It is such a time saver. I only have to refill it every other day unless I am drinking a little bit heavier than usual. The reservoir also has a night light whose colour you can customize which is pretty neat.
I did mention the ability to brew a carafe. The carafe is good for 4 cups of coffee and is really easy to use. You need to remove the drip tray and just slide the closed carafe right under the Keurig. It will slide right in and and has been designed to collect coffee from the brewer with the lid still on. This is perfect for entertaining guests, but its also great when you need to stay up late to meet deadlines.
My office space is in the basement rec room so I love being able to brew a carafe at night and sit down to work without having to keep running up to the kitchen to brew a cup. What a time saver!
If you are in the market for a new Coffee Brewing System the Keurig 2.0 500 series brewer is definitely the one I would recommend going with. The features are fantastic and I simply cannot live without the carafe now that I have it.
For more information, visit Keurig.ca.
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!
Wednesday 10th of June 2015
Would love to own one of this.
Tuesday 19th of May 2015
Love my new keuriq machine it is awesome don't know what I did without it thanks keuriq
Tuesday 19th of May 2015
I love my keuriq coffeemaker dont know what I woould do wiithout it got it just yesterday the coffee is delious it is awesome thanks keuriq.
Friday 5th of December 2014
I have a Keurig Elite, and we really enjoy it, but, but, but...
- I noticed just after I bought it that quite a number of complaints were on the Net about it breaking down in some way - most were the needles clogging, some simply would not start up - right after they started using it. Ditto with these units, after I started looking at them. That smells like a quality control problem in the manufacturing process to me.
** I have never had a single problem.
- I find Keurig Customer Service totally 100% unresponsive. Over the last two years I have sent them several emails as well as initiated Facebook interaction - with praise and suggestions, not abuse - and am yet to see any reply. By contrast, I asked EkoBrew fior a replacement O-Ring for their stainless steel filter basket and I received in return - all free of charge and free shipping by UPS - a new stainless basket, three replacement O-Rings... and a brand new plastic basket model that is just perfect for my tea brew.ing.
- My last email to Keuring was to suggest a small-machine 12-ounce option on the cup size (my Elite has 8 and 10). I do understand the reason for the 10 - so that there is room in top of the cup to add cold water or milk - but sometimes you don't want anything else, just want a full mug of steaming coffee.
As indicated, I got no reply, so I have to say that when I next coffee machine upgrade I will be going for one of the Cuisinart Keurig-processing models - who I already know will give me what I need (and probably some responsive Customer Service that actually exists).
Friday 28th of November 2014
Keurig is the best thing in my kitchen