Moms are busy. There is no one that can dispute this. Taking care of small children is exhausting and is a 24/7 job. Taking care of older children often means that not only are you on parent duty, but you are also on homework duty, taxi duty and so much more. Us moms literally rarely get a break. If you work outside the home as well, then your mom job is compounded by the fact that you only get so much time with the kids each day, so you probably feel guilty even wanting a break. Don’t. Don’t feel guilty. At home moms and working moms alike need to have “me time.”
10 Reasons Moms Need to Have “Me Time”
Do you need help convincing yourself or someone else that this is true? Here are 10 reasons moms need to have “me time.”
- To remember who you were. You may not remember the time before you become “Sally’s mom,” but I promise you, there was a time that you were more than a parent. Don’t let that person get away.
- Exhausted parents do not make for the best parents. You need time away to reset your mind instead of always having it go go go with the rigors of parenthood. A break does wonders for your parenting and you will feel refreshed.
- You are more than just mom. It may not seem like it, but it is true. Making time for your hobbies, interests, and friendships are very important for maintaining your identity and your mental well being.
- It’s good practice for life after babies. Your kids won’t be little forever. It is good to spend some time away from babies and toddlers to remember what the real world is like.
- It’s good for your kids. Kids need time away from mom sometimes too! That’s right. It is very beneficial to kids and their independence if they are away from mom sometimes. It helps them build their self-reliance, which is important in their growth. It’s important for them to know that they will be okay if mom is gone for a little while.
- You are setting a good example. Another benefit to you take time for yourself is that you are setting a great example for your children. Showing them that self-care is vital to our well being throughout life, will be beneficial for you both.
- You will gain patience. When you take the time to take care of your own needs, you will have more patience throughout the day. A mental health break is good for all of us.
- You can actually relax. Sure you can go out to dinner with your kids, but how much fun is it, really? When you make the decision to spend some time away from your kids, you will be shocked at how relaxing an activity, such as going out to dinner can be.
- You will miss them. I know that missing them seems like a weird reason to take a break from your kids, but trust me, it is a good thing. When you have missed your kids, you are genuinely happy to walk in the door and see them and you will be reminded of how much you appreciate being a mom.
- Your kids will flourish. When there is another trusted adult (grandparent, nanny, etc) that loves your children and offers to watch them, take them up on it. When kids are able to develop strong bonds with other adults, the will become more well rounded.
I know we have all heard that being a mom is a full-time job in itself (I would actually say far more than full-time). There is a reason why we don’t work 24/7, everyone needs a break. Don’t feel guilty for needing to take a little bit of time to yourself. You deserve it, mama!
Elizabeth Lampman is a coffee-fuelled Mom of 2 girls and lives in Hamilton, Ontario. She enjoys travelling, developing easy recipes, crafting, taking on diy projects, travelling and saving money!