Summer is almost here and that means plenty of time for outdoor fun. The kids will be off school, the weather will be warmer, and the sun will be shining. Now might be the time you are wondering what you will do to keep your little ones entertained. Keeping the kids busy over the summer break doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. In fact, all it takes to achieve a fun and frugal summer is a backyard, some great weather and some amazing ideas.
Frugal Summer Backyard Fun
- Play tag – Playing tag is a great way to get some exercise, make it even more fun by adding in some new elements and making up some different rules.
- Pack a picnic – Lots of people love a good picnic. Grab a blanket, pack a basket and retreat to the backyard!
- Paint rocks – Painting rocks is a great outdoor activity, and let’s face it, they look fantastic in the garden.
- Camp in your yard – Put up a tent, grab your sleeping bags and a flashlight and spend the night telling ghost stories.
- Play in the Sprinkler – Turn that sprinkler on full blast and run through it like nobody’s watching.
- Have a water balloon fight – Winner gets a popsicle!
- Play Soccer – No nets? No problem. Just use things you have around the house to mark out the goal posts.
- Create a Fairy garden – A popular and fun way to make any garden unique and beautiful.
- Have a tea party – Don’t forget the stuffed animals.
- Build a fort – Almost like building a fort indoors, except you’re outside. Grab all the blankets and pillows you can find, you’re going to need them.
- Read under a tree – Grab a good book and a comfy pillow and set yourself up in the shade.
- Make an obstacle course – Set a timer and see who can complete the course the fastest.
- Have a BBQ – One of the best parts of summer is having a BBQ. Serve up some classics like hamburgers or hot dogs or get adventurous and make a pizza.
- Paint a white sheet hung on the fence – Hang a plain white sheet off your fence and let the kids paint a masterpiece. If you want to be even more creative, fill water guns with paint.
- Draw what you see – Sketch out something that caught your eye in your yard.
- Water the plants – They need to stay hydrated too.
- Catch bugs – Catch different types of bugs and research more about them. Don’t forget to set them free once you are done studying them.
- Watch an outdoor movie – Set up an old sheet and use a projector or just bring a laptop outside. Either way, you’re going to require some popcorn.
- Make your own bubbles – Use dish soap and water to create your own mixture for bubble blowing. If you want to get really creative, fill a small kiddie pool with the solution and use a hula hoop as the bubble wand.
- Draw with chalk – The best thing about chalk is that it can wash off easily. Patios and wooden fences are great places to make masterpieces.
There are many fantastic ways to spend summer in your backyard and keep your kids busy at the same time. You don’t have to break the bank to have an excellent summer full of memories.
You Might Like...
Latest posts by Elizabeth (see all)
- Disney Princess Classic Films Now Airing on TV - September 17, 2018
- The Nightmare Before Christmas 25th Anniversary Edition - September 12, 2018
- Hocus Pocus 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray - September 12, 2018