These weather story stones are a DIY toy designed for story-telling prompts and for narrative play. Story stones are fun and so easy to make plus your kids can enjoy them for years! They could also be helpful when teaching younger kids about our changing weather.
Story stones are smooth, flat stones that you can find at the beach or pick up at your local craft store and can be used in many ways. As mentioned, they are great as story telling aides, and perfect for creative play. They can also be used for sorting and grouping activities. There is no right or wrong way to play with these weather story stones.
Kids will also love the sensory aspect of the stones too. They are colourful, cool to the touch and make a satisfying sound as they clack together in the bag and while playing with them.
Weather Story Stones
1. After gathering all of the supplies, you will first rinse the stones in warm water until all of the powder has been removed. Set the stones on a towel and allow them to dry completely.
2. Use a pencil to sketch the design onto the stone.
3. Use paint pens to colour the stones.
4. Use a black paint pen to outline the painted stone.
5. Allow the paint to dry completely.
6. You are now ready to use your stones to narrate a story. You can even flip them over and write words on the back of the stones.
7. If you’d like, create a small canvas bag to store your story stones.
Use an alphabet stencil to paint words onto the canvas bag. Allow to dry completely before storing your stones.
8. If you’d like to protect your stones for many uses, use a spray sealer or Mod Podge.
You Might Like...
Latest posts by Elizabeth (see all)
- DIY Sharpie Galaxy Shoes - March 19, 2018
- Sharpie Watercolor Ocean Preschool-K Printable Pack - March 14, 2018
- Unicorn Headbands - March 8, 2018