Disney presents one of the greatest rescue stories ever told. THE FINEST HOURS a heroic action-thriller based on the extraordinary true story of of the greatest small-boat rescue in Coast Guard history. Starring Chris Pine (the “Star Trek” films), Academy Award® and Golden Globe® nominee Casey Affleck (“Interstellar”), Ben Foster (“3:10 to Yuma”) and Eric Bana (“Lone Survivor”), “THE FINEST HOURS” makes its in-home debut packaged with a host of bonus features about the making of the movie and the remarkable true-life events that inspired it. It storms home on Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere May 24th.
This heroic action-thriller is based on the extraordinary true story of the greatest small-boat rescue in Coast Guard history. In 1952, a massive winter storm strikes off the coast of Cape Cod, ripping a T-2 oil tanker in half and trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly sinking stern. When word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard, four men led by Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine) set out in a 12-seat boat on a daring mission to rescue the stranded men, braving freezing cold, 60-foot waves and hurricane-force winds, and guided by Webber’s vow that “We all live, or we all die.” Packed with thrilling, larger-than-life action and anchored in a belief in the strength of the human spirit, The Finest Hours is a triumph.
Blu-ray Combo Pack Bonus Features:
• AGAINST ALL ODDS: THE BERNIE WEBBER STORY – Visit the quaint and close-knit town of Chatham, and experience the events surrounding the most heroic Coast Guard rescue ever through the eyes of the people who witnessed them.
• BROTHERHOOD – Cast members reflect on the bonds they forged during the shoot.
• TWO CREWS – Chris Pine and Casey Affleck share insights into Bernie Webber and Ray Sybert, men who led their respective crews against all odds.
• WHAT IS YOUR FINEST HOUR? – A Coast Guard member recounts an incredible rescue.
• THE FINEST INSPIRATION: THE U.S. COAST GUARD Meet the people who put their lives on the line for others.
• DELETED SCENES:
o A Desperate Idea
o The Story of How They Met
I have to admit that going into The Finest Hours, I was expecting the usual macho movie heroics but was happy to find just the opposite. The Story follows a group of young coastguards on a rescue mission – and they are as frightened as you would expect someone to be out at sea during a hurricane in a small ship . They perform a an impressively heroic feat in the name of duty where many would have turned around.
The storm scenes in particular are exciting and are downright scary at times – especially during the rescue operation getting the men from the sinking ship to the rescue boat.
The action scenes are balanced out with romance and drama, making it a film that will appeal to many.