When it comes to holiday cooking in our household there is usually a fight over what will get cooked. My partner prefers traditional Jamaican food such as Curry Goat, Oxtail and stewed beef. I, on the other hand, prefer more Canadian Holiday food such as Turkey and Roast Beef with all the trimmings.
This year I decided we could meet in the middle with a delicious Jamaican style Beer braised Pot Roast recipe. What is more Canadian than cooking with beer?
The Beer Store offers a vast amount of various varieties of Beer which makes it super easy to find a Beer for your holiday cooking. I had decided that Guinness Stout would be the perfect beer to pair with my pot roast. I also quickly checked online before we left to ensure that it was in stock at the closest location (awesome time-saving feature!)
First thing in the morning we got together our empties and headed off to The Beer Store. I have some fond memories of going to The Beer Store just for this purpose with my dad. I always loved watching the packs of beer rolling down the belts.
Once I got that beer home from The Beer Store I threw the beef into my slow cooker and poured the beer over it. Soon my house was filled with the delicious scent of the roast cooking.
I had invited my parents over since my partner had to work the night-shift, and boy did he miss out! I paired my Beer Braised Pot Roast with Sweet Potatoes, Squash and Broccoli. We were able to make a delicious gravy as well which was flavoured with a hint of Guinness. Yum! It was all very quickly devoured after we first finished off the rest of the beer in the 6 pack.
So verdict? I will definitely be heading back to The Beer Store to get some more beer to cook with over the Holidays. Oh and when I was looking up stock on my beer, I discovered they actually have a whole slew of pretty amazing looking recipes perfect for the Holidays such as this Cherry Beer Cake!
Slow-Cooker Jamaican Beer Braised Pot Roast
4 to 5 pounds outside round roast of beef (or other suitable for pot roast)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 341mL beer, preferably stout
1) If your roast is frozen then marinade by combining garlic, mustard, ginger, salt, pepper and soy sauce in a freezer bag with your roast as it thaws in your fridge. To ensure maximum flavour try sucking the air out of the bag as well as possible.
2) If your roast is already thawed then combine garlic, mustard, ginger, salt, pepper and soy sauce and pour over roast. Allow to marinade for 1 to 2 hours in the fridge.
3) Place roast and marinade in slow cooker and pour beer over roast.
4) Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
5) Allow Roast to rest and use liquid left in the slow cooker to make gravy.
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ #CBias #SocialFabric. As usual, this is a personal blog, and all opinions remain my own.
You Might Like...
Latest posts by Elizabeth (see all)
- Thing 1 & Thing 2 Paper Bag Puppets - February 20, 2018
- Thing 1 and Thing 2 Toilet Paper Tube Craft - February 16, 2018
- How to Eat Healthy When Everyone Around You Is Not - February 15, 2018